Saturday, March 28, 2009

Don Bosco







I am honored to work with people every day who come from Nepal, Burundi, Vietnam, Korea, El Salvador, Mexico, Guatemala, Somolia, Iraq, Costa Rica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, China, and EVERYWHERE!! I now work at Don Bosco ESL which is a non-profit funded by the state and fed. government in congruency with Penn Valley Comm. College. The classes are for adults and are free for everyone. We have 9 levels of English classes, 1 being pre-literate (meaning that in the native language, there was no written language) and 8 being GED prep. I have learned so much about the refugee process in the USA as well as how cruel the world is to undocumented immigrants (which I already knew, but now know on a more personal level). Thankfully, they have Don Bosco for support. I love all my students and everyday is ever-changing. I have about 60 students coming and going and I constantly have new students every day. The picture with me is my Hatian student who is a professional soccer player!! Cool.

1 Comments:

Blogger Applecart T. said...

i appreciate your appreciation of your role and their lives. i could not take it much for long personally … i always felt like my help was not enough while it was already taxing me to the max, emotionally and such. i was much younger then, though. continue to enjoy!

May 14, 2009 at 2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home